Carnivorous Plants/pitchers browning before mature

Nepenthes x "Miranda"
Nepenthes x "Miranda"  
My Nepenthes x "Miranda" plant is actively growing, but I noticed this morning the new pitchers / leaves are browning right off the bat, before reaching full stature.  I expected the plant to slow way down in the winter, but it's still growing strong.  Conversely, my Nepenthes sanguinia is (still) growing like crazy, and seems to be developing "normally."  I live in Seattle, and they are both in a south window.  

Thank you!

Hi Brandi,

Your plants look, and are behaving exactly as they should for this time of year in a window in the Pacific Northwest.  What you can expect is a gradual increase in pitcher production as we get longer days and more sun into the spring.  When you get your first fully formed pitcher, feed it a couple bugs or some dried blood worms (available at pet stores) to give them a boost.  Here's some additional resources:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!