Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia Rhizome

Hi! I had a large crowded Sarracenia leucophylla plant that I decided to divide into smaller plants. When I started to break off pieces of the rhizome, I made sure each had their own growing point attached to it. However, in doing so I accidentally broke off 2 pieces of rhizome that did not have a growing point on them. It was white inside and had roots attached, but no crown on it. Is this piece worth saving? I left it in the pot for now but will a piece of rhizome actually grow?

Hi Victor,

Yes, it will.  Since a rhizome is an underground stem they tend to have dormant nodes on them just like a regular stem growing plant.  When the growing points are removed a hormone activates them.  Now, here's the catch.  It really varies by species as to how well they start to grow new shoots from those dormant nodes.  Examples:  S. minor is very poor at producing new plants this way.  S. oreophila produces new shoots like a weed.  Sarracenia leucophylla is going to be somewhere in between.  It will take time.

When you pot up the rhizome piece, leave a little of it above soil.  It helps if the nodes can get sunlight.  Once you see new growth points it will take a couple years to have plants big enough to separate.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!