Carnivorous Plants/VFT dormancy

Dormant VFT
Dormant VFT  
Right now I have a dormant VFT in my garage. At this time of year I always screw it up. Either I water it too much or too little. This year I may have done it again by drying out the soil for about 2 weeks I believe. It still holds signs of green however I am uncertain if it will come back this spring. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Hi John,

I think you have a little something there that will re-emerge, but it will probably produce lots of tiny shoots rather than one big plant.  And yes, it got way too dry.  If the soil is pulling away from the pot like that, it's not good.

Here's a lesson I've had to learn over the years with many other cp, and this applies to your situation too.  With cp that we are told to keep dry at certain times of year, what is really meant is dri-er, not bone dry.  This applies to Mexican Pinguicula, Tuberous Drosera, Winter-growing South African Sundews, and even Drosophyllum.  None of these things, not even Drosophyllum, grow in a true desert.  All of them are going to have damp soil to some degree down deep in the soil.  Not that many of them will survive bone dry conditions.  Like everything there are exceptions, but most want the soil a little damp even during dormancy.  I can't tell you how many Drosera cistiflora I killed before learning this.

Now Flytraps are nothing like the plants I just described.  They're bog plants.  It's not dry in Eastern North Carolina in the winter.  What you want to do is just keep a shallow tray of water under it.  It looks like you have a good sized pot, so no more than one inch deep.  You do need to check it weekly for mold, if you need to add more water, etc...  When you do add more water, top water it.  That helps to keep mold spores from getting established.  What flytraps don't like is being waterlogged.  That would mean keeping the water level way up on the pot.  Definitely don't do that, but a little water is good.  If you can't remember to water it in the garage during the winter, you might be better off just keeping it in a window in the house that you will see it in often.  That way it won't get neglected.  If the window is cool, it will stay dormant.  North windows work best for this in winter.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!