Carnivorous Plants/cold frame in windy zone 6

Sarracenia leucphylla x mitchelliana, venus flytraps, s. purpurea. outdoor habitat in clay pots sitting in ceramic or metal containers. Zone 6, with lots of wind. Past 6 years winterized in semi heated garage in west facing window with great success. Plants now evicted from winterizing site.
Only option is building a cold frame type situation next year (too many for fridge, no other structures suitable due to heat and lack of light options). Is cold frame an option for this zone? How do I handle potting situation-will pots freeze and crack? Suggestions for type of cold frames and direction/exposure?I don't want to give up plants next fall.

Hi Jeannette,

This is the type of cold frame that will probably work best for you:  This one is a bit on the pricey side, and if you're handy with a saw and a drill driver you cold probably make your own very easily.  What this style does for you is give you great wind protection, and the ability to easily vent it in sunny weather.  If you have a bout of very cold weather you would want to have your plants in the cold frame, then bury them with pine straw or similar mulch.  They will usually handle the cold just fine, but they need protection from dehydration.

Ceramic pots will crack.  Even though they are often not as decorative, we often recommend plastic pots for this reason.

Since you are only trying to provide extra protection during dormancy, and not extend a growing season (like vegetables), face the cold frame North or East.  You don't want heat to build up in it during sunny weather since that can cause other problems.

Here's and article that could be helpful:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!