Carnivorous Plants/Drosophyllum seeds

Empty Seed Pods
Empty Seed Pods  

Growing seed pod
Growing seed pod  
Hi Jeff,

my Drosophyllum has bloomed, since each flower opened in a different day, I self-pollinated the flowers, I took a small paintbrush and brushed deeply into the flower.

However, now it seems that the flowers are "empty", except for one. They used all to build transparent seedpods, but now only one is left, I dont know why. Could it be that a seedpod gets lost or I was just wrong from the beginning and it never planed to produce seeds?

Also since today we have full sun, but temperatures are still around 30 F (-1 C) at night and max. 48 F (9 C) in the day time. I am wondering if I should put the plant outside yet? How about for Drosera Regia?

Thank you for your precious comments!

Cheers from Germany,

Hi JP,

Drosophyllum will do this sometimes with the flowers.  One thing I've found that helps is if you can cross-pollinate.  We seem to get much better seed set if I intentionally take pollen from one flower and transfer it to another flower.  It's even better if it's on another plant.  This seems to give better seed production.

It's still a little early to put those two plants outside.  I would wait until April.  Your temperatures seem really similar to ours, and I wouldn't want them outside just yet.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!