Carnivorous Plants/repotting Nepenthes

I just spent a very frustrating afternoon trying to find out one simple thing--what is the best time of year to transplant my Nepenthes into a larger container? There are a million posts about soil content but I couldn't find any on the best time of year to repot! I am in southwest Oregon, and (happily) my nepenthes ar beginning to grow a lot of pitchers-- there is one plant that is in a tiny pot but it is growing many pitchers and I don't want to hurt it by repotting at the wrong time of the year.

Hi Maire,

The biggest reason you haven't found much on the best time of year to transplant Nepenthes, is that there isn't a solid best time.  Nepenthes are true tropicals, so there's no dormancy period like there is for temperate species like Sarracenia and flytraps.  It also depends some on how you are growing your plants.  For a grower using lights, it makes no difference whatsoever when you transplant.  Conditions are always the same.  If you're using a windowsill to grow, there's a slight advantage to transplanting in the spring.

Since you're in the Pacific Northwest, right now is a good time to do your transplant.  My reasoning on that is that the days are getting longer, and the light is getting stronger if you're growing on a windowsill.  This gives the plant more energy for photosynthesis, and can repair itself faster from the damage they get from transplanting.  Also, if your plants are starting to produce pitchers, they will drop them after a transplant until the plant repairs it's root system, and that will happen faster now than if you do it in the winter.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!