Carnivorous Plants/I think my plant is dead

I put my plant out in the garage so it would get a bit of sun through the window, but it was below freezing and I don't think it coped well. We live in Kentucky so the summers are hot and humid. The plant has also been sitting in a lot of water so I don't think that helped either.
Is there any saving it or is it trash?
It is an Asian pitcher plant by the way.

Hi Jonathan,

I'm afraid that's very dead.  Nepenthes are true tropical plants and don't like cold at all.  None can survive freezing temperatures.  This makes them very different than Sarracenia, North American Pitcher Plants.  The only things Nepenthes and Sarracenia have in common is that they catch bugs, and are generically called "pitcher plants".  Nepenthes are also not bog plants the way Sarracenia are, so they detest sitting in water.

This illustrates why it's important to know a bit about particular groups of carnivorous plants.  As a group collectively, they are very diverse, some coming from hot steamy jungles, some growing North of the Arctic Circle, and everywhere in-between.  Many carnivores like to be very wet coming from bogs, but not all do, and some even like being a little on the dry side.  Most are very high light plants, but even there exceptions exist.

Here are some good resources to help:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!