Carnivorous Plants/Are additives needed for R-O water with Cps

Just wanted to ask a simple question. When growing CPs, we want to use other than City tap water in most cases. Water filtered through Peat, Rain water or Reverse Osmosis (R-O) are the choices. I also use R-O water for my freshwater aquarium since our city water has issues. For fish and plants in the aquarium you can not use straight R-O. You must add Minerals to bring it up to a level that the plants and fish need to support life. My question is, For CPs, do you recommend using any mineral additive to restore some natural balance? This would give clean fresh water that has no chlorines. salts phosphates, etc but some mineral elements.  I currently us Kent R-O Right in the aquarium.  Any advice on this is appreciated.

Hi Thomas,

Unlike fish that need to particular osmotic balance in their water, plants are not sensitive in that way.  Adding minerals to the water would be harmful to cp since it builds up over time.  Rainwater is nearly pure water and that's nature's plan for the plants.  We've used RO water in the nursery for years with nothing by great results.  Just use the RO water straight.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!