Carnivorous Plants/aphids on fly traps

I recently bought some fly traps from you and yesterday I found aphids on one of the plants!  I am currently keeping the traps inside under a florescent light and they seem to be doing well.  No ladybugs around right now, of course.  I'm afraid all my indoor plants are going to end up with aphids!  Suggestions??

Hi Brenda,

Sorry for the long turn around time here.  With just a few plants aphids are pretty easy to knock down with most houseplant insecticides.  Avoid insecticidal soap, but most other types are safe when used as directed on the label, when used on cp.  Ones based on organic pyrethrins work well, as do Neem products.  If you have sundews with aphids spray only the growing crown of the plant and not the sticky part of the leaves.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!