Carnivorous Plants/Drosera capensis, Red Leaf is turning green

Drosera capensis, Red Leaf
Drosera capensis, Red  
I had a question about my Drosera capensis, Red Leaf; for some reason, it has been turning green over the past several weeks and does not seem to be growing as well as my green Drosera capensis. They are receiving the same amount of light and water, and are sitting on a windowsill facing the east. I have had the plant for about 3 months. Region is Northern Kentucky.

Hi Patty,

These are classic symptoms of low light.  Chances are the green Cape isn't doing that well either, it's just not s obvious since it won't indicate it as readily by color.

What you can do is supplement the light with a small fluorescent light.  In a window like this some of the 2' tube assemblies can work very well and yield beautiful results.  Use a timer and match the photoperiod to the the natural day length.  The other option is to move to a sunnier window in the house.  This would be an unobstructed South or West window.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!