Carnivorous Plants/freshness pollen of sarracenia flower

Hello Sarracenia Northwest,

Yesterday I tried to collect pollen from my S. x moorei Adrian Slack. The umbrella of the flower was no more in horizontal position, but was already a bit tilted upwards. I wonder if it wasn't too late to collect the pollen? The pollen are now stored in the fridge for later use (otherwise I'll throw it away).

Many thanks,
Joachim (Belgium)

Hi Joachim,

It's not too late to collect the pollen.  I'm not sure, however, how long Sarracenia pollen is viable, and if that varies from plant to plant.  Last year I collected some pollen from an S. purpurea var. montana, stored it in wax paper in the refrigerator for a month and a half, then used it to pollinate some S. psittacina when they came into bloom.  I got no seeds, and that was after pollinating daily from the time the flower opened until petal fall.  I would say to use your pollen as soon as you can.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!