Carnivorous Plants/making an Aphrodite bloom

I have an Aphrodite Butterwort that looks really good.  I have had it for several years and last year I re-potted it into a 4 inch pot.  Now it spans the width of the pot.  Ihave it sitting under a Burpee grow light with the light on for 12 to 15 hours a day.  I water the plant when the soil starts to feel dry.  My question is how do I get it to bloom?  It hasn't bloomed in a couple of years and although it is a pretty plant I remember it having a pretty bloom that I would like to see again.

Hi Patricia,

If you're not seeing much in the way of insect capture, it's time to feed the plant.  Try spraying the leaves with a 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer once every two weeks.  Just lightly mist the leaves with it.  This will often help them bloom.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!