Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes

I have several varieties of nepenthes.  They are all roughly 2 - 3 years old.

It seems like the main stalk on all of them is starting to lean over to one side.  The plants have pitches on both sides of the plants so it's not heavier on one side.

My question is, do I need to stake up the main stem/stalk on my nepenthes plants or are they trying to be hanging plants with the main stem hanging over the pot along with the pitchers?

I can't find anything about staking them online, but I've see them growing up trees in photos.

Thank you for any information

I can send a photo if you need one, but I figure that's only for health issues.

Hi Kerry,

Nepenthes are essentially vines in nature.  Their stems are very tough, so you can either stake them or let them hang.  It becomes more personal preference.  If the plant is getting plenty of light, and making pitchers, it's pretty happy.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!