Carnivorous Plants/reclaimed tray

Thanks to the Plant of the Month Club my collection of Sarracenia has grown quite a bit and the window boxes that I have been using for water trays are becoming impractical.  Recently I upsized my cat's litterbox and I was wondering if the old box would be safe to use as a water tray?  I have been using a litter box purchased just for the plants so I know that I can fit up to 6 6 inch pots in one box.  I need a second box so I was wondering if I can use the used litter box or if there was a chance of harmful bacteria from the cats causing a problem for the plants.  Of course it has been cleaned but since it is plastic there is always a chance of bacteria getting into the plastic and then leaching out into the water.

Hi Patricia,

If you clean the litter box with a bleach solution, you will kill any bacteria that might remain.  Also, most of the nasties that would be in something like that are not likely to affect plants.  I can only think of a tiny number of fungal diseases that might actually spread from animals to plants.  I say go ahead and use it.  If you bleach it, it will be fine.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!