Carnivorous Plants/Regarding nepenthes

Nepenthes 2
Nepenthes 2  
I would like to know if it is bad conditions for the plant that the pitchers are in contact with the pot.
I ask because I just bought this plant for 3 weeks ago and the pitchers are starting to wilt.
(the reason could also be lesser sunlight,  maybe lesser heat, lesser quality of water (I use boiled water))
Kind regards Christoffer Skyh°j

Hi Christoffer,

The pitchers coming in contact with the pot is of no concern whatsoever.  It has no effect on the pitchers.  The overall growing conditions are what play a key role.  Also, since you just got your plant, Nepenthes are often sensitive to changes in environmental conditions, so it having a few pitchers dry up is very normal.  

Make sure you are keeping the soil moist, but not waterlogged, and that the plant is getting direct sun for part of the day in the window in which it sits.  If the tag that came with the plant said anything to the nature of, "No direct sun", ignore that.  Through a window you want some direct sun or the plant won't have enough energy to make pitchers.

On your water, boiling water does nothing to the water except kill bacteria.  It's an old urban legend that boiling removes minerals; it doesn't.  Water your plant with rainwater, distilled water or water purified by reverse osmosis.  Occasional use of tap water will not hurt the plant.  Nepenthes are among the least sensitive of carnivorous plants to hard water.  What you need is water that has a total dissolved solids count of 50 parts per million or less. (mg/l)

Here's more information on growing Nepenthes:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!