Carnivorous Plants/repotting flytrap

I just recieved a Dente Flytrap from you today and it is way more awake than I expected.  My flytrap that I already have is barely coming up but this was a big beautiful plant with several traps up but not open.  I would really love to put it in a 6 inch pot but I remember seeing in the video that they don't like to be repotted once they are growing.  Is it too late to repot it or should it be OK if I am very careful to disturb the roots as little as possible?  I can leave it if I have to but like I said I would really love to have it in a 6 inch pot.

Hi Patricia,

Repot away!  This is a great time still to repot your flytrap.  It gets a little trickier if you do it in the late summer or fall as the plants are going dormant, but right now they have lots of growing season ahead of them, so they will recover from any transplanting shock.  Still be nice to the roots, but you shouldn't have any problems.  They will love a 6" pot.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!