Carnivorous Plants/artificial and indirect lighting

QUESTION: Will it be a good idea to combine both indirect and T-5 fluorescent lighting together to grow tropical carnivorous plants? I was thinking about combining T-5 lighting with light that's coming from a north-facing window.

ANSWER: Hi John,

It's a great idea.  Combining both of those together can often give you excellent results.  I combined a typical T-12 shoplight with a window a few years ago, and got some of the best colors I've seen in my plants.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Will this combination of light be able to support large, or even viny nepenthes species? Viny species like N. glabrata and large species like N. truncata.

Hi John,

It will to a point, but if the plants vines grow out away from the light you'll have to make modifications.  Training or trellising the vines to keep them in the light might be needed.  This is just something you'll have to play with and see how they do.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!