Carnivorous Plants/Flytrap flowers

I have been reading a lot about flytraps lately, and many sites say  that if you let them flower they usually die. I thought that was kinda weird! So I went back to the SNW caresheets and you guys mention the flowers but there's no mention of killing the flytraps by allowing them to flower. I take your word because you guys know your stuff-- so-- let them flower or not?

Hi Maire,

Like so many things the devil is in the details with this topic.  If you have a new, fairly small Venus Flytrap that you're not sure how it was grown, such as a grocery store rescue, then yes, by all means cut off the flower(s).  They greatly weaken an already very likely weak plant.  Sometimes plants will bloom from stress too, same story then, cut them off.  

Now if you have a plant that's been growing for a couple years and is doing good, you can let it bloom, especially if you would like seeds.  They do set seed fairly easy.  Many insects are attracted to their small white flowers.  If you want to let your plants put more energy into leaves/traps, then cut them off.  Flytrap flowers are not as pretty as Sarracenia, so it's not the show that Pitcher Plants are.  Letting a mature healthy plant bloom is not a problem, and certainly won't kill it.  They will slow down in leaf production, however.  People are so unaccustomed to seeing healthy flytraps it's easy to see how a myth like this would get started.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!