Carnivorous Plants/Is this the good soil for my plant

Should I change the soil or is this ok for my plant. I am not sure what kind of nepenthes this is but I know that normally they put moss and I am not sure if this is earth or some kind of soil. Is it good for my plant? Thank you!

Hi JJ,

The plant you have here is often know as deRoose's Alata.  It's Nepenthes (ventricosa x alata) x alata.  It's a vigorous grower, and one of the best first time Nepenthes.

The soil media used by the nursery that grows and markets these (DeRoose Plants) uses a chunky, course grade peat moss.  That grade can often only be obtained from the peat producers directly.  It works the way they use it for these plants.  DeRoose produces 100's of thousands of these every year, so it seems to work and be good for them.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!