Carnivorous Plants/grow lights for Drosophyllum and Roridula

Do you supplement your lighting in the winter when it comes to growing your Drosophyllum and Roridula? What would you recommend (CF, LED, or HID)? What bulb wattage would you suggest?

I will eventually bring my Dewy Pines and R. dentatas inside later this fall. What has worked best for you guys?

Thank you,

Hi Derick,

Any of those types of lights can do the job.  This is more a matter of what you have for space and how many plants you have.  If you have a few plants a light shelf with a T-5 fluorescent would probably give you the best results for the money spent.  Definitely use a two-tube unit.  

I'm not at a point where I can recommend particular LED units yet.  There's plenty of good ones out there, but I've not used them enough yet to know how particular plants behave under them, and what spectral outputs are best for particular cp.  LED's are much more complicated than traditional white light sources.

I have one Drosophyllum in the house that is under a 6500k CFL.  It does quite well.  In the greenhouse we have three 400 watt Metal Halides we use during the winter, and they do wonderful under those combined with natural light.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!