Carnivorous Plants/Poor drainage, numerous pots

QUESTION: Upon re-potting a number of plants, I am finding they have very poor drainage, where water drained right through before potting. Water just pools on top then meanders through and out the bottom over the course of literally ten to fifteen minutes. It has happened with two different concoctions and a total of 9 plants: peat/perlite and peat/perlite/vermiculite, both lightly tamped, not packed. The peat, perlite, and vermiculite are all espoma brand. I am carefully using equal parts of each and the bottom holes are of decent size.  Could it be the peat is the culprit, and if so can you recommend a brand to look for on Others with poor experience ratings? I'm thinking this can't be good for the plants!

ANSWER: Hi Steve,

This isn't unusual.  It often takes peat moss awhile to fully hydrate and settle.  During this time it doesn't always drain well.  Try a 3 parts perlite to 1 part peat moss mix.  This will give you a much more rapid draining mix.  Avoid vermiculite altogether.  Vermiculite can be alkaline which carnivorous plants don't like.  Also, using equal parts peat, perlite, and silica sand can give you a very good fast draining mix.  We use that mix for our Drosophyllum.

We've used similar mixes for years with no problems.  This isn't something to worry too much about.

Good quality peat moss is getting to be a more serious issue with time just because the retail grades often have high mineral salt contents.  They require heavy rinsing, or rain exposure to leach it out.  Course growers grades are the best, but you have to get them from nursery supply companies.  This is where ours comes from, and it's excellent:  This is what all our mixes have in them except the tropical mix.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Thank you, Jeff, for your answer and tips.  I'm sure I heard of vermiculite on your DVD's talking about potting the tropical Butterworts as well as the Nepenthes.  Can I set aside the opened bag for non-CP houseplants? Outdoor bed amendments? Literally only used enough to mix for a 6" pot, seems like a bit of a waste.

On a lighter note, I'm excited to see my upcoming 6th GPOM shipment!  Thanks again for sharing your gifts.  SNW has turned me from a proven plant killer into someone who doesn't HAVE all the answers but now knows WHAT, WHEN, and WHO to ask.

Best Regards,
Steve Milone

Hi Steve,

We have used vermiculite in the past, but have since discontinued.  We've just found over time it has disadvantages.  There's also some evidence that vermiculite can contain traces of abestos.  Adding it to regular plant potting mixes is a great use for it.

Glad you've enjoyed the plant, and that our information has been helpful.  What, When and Who is sort the motto for master gardeners too!

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!