Carnivorous Plants/prevent mosquitos

Hi, I'm getting back into growing CPs, Sarracenia in particular, and was wondering if you knew of anyway to keep mosquito larvae from growing in my purple pitcher plants? I've always had that happen when growing Purpurea, but with this Zika Virus whatnot being an issue, I'd like to reduce my chances of breeding mosquitoes in general. Any ideas? I also tend to keep mine setting in a dish of water, could you recommend something for that as well?
Thanks for any tips or info!

Hi Michael,

In water trays, if it's not practical to dump trays frequently you can use Mosquito dunks.  They contain a bacterial toxin that kills mosquito larvae, but is harmless to other aquatics.  Here's a link:

The larvae you see in the Sarracenia purpurea pitchers themselves are beneficial to the plant, and not a blood feeding species.  Here's some information:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!