Carnivorous Plants/rust spot?

rust spot?
rust spot?  
hi my name is dominic and i have a nepenthes ventricosa and it has somthing on the leaves  a couple and i dont know what it is. all the pitchers died and i is growing a new one. i have been taking care of it by squirting it with a spray bottle which a plant guy told me to do. it is regular water from my filtered water and it is under a grow light. please help i live in washington and it is in my room.

Hi Dominic,

This kind of damage looks like the plant may have been exposed to too much cold at one time.  It looks like you have the plant in a humid environment under bright light, so at this point just observe the plant as it grows to see if the spotting starts to occur on new growth too, or is just limited to the older leaves.  If it's physical damage, like from cold, the plant will grow out of it with time and consistent growing conditions.  Here's more information on growing Nepenthes:

I would also take a magnifying lens and examine the undersides of the leaves to see if you notice any tiny long insects.  If you do, these are thrips, and you would need to spray for them.

Also, don't worry about misting your plant.  It is of little to no benefit, and can actually inhibit pitchering on Nepenthes.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!