Carnivorous Plants/S.Minor rhyzome turned soft.

Hello, so last summer I got a s.minor from a friend. I live In Minnesota so the winters here are harsh, I winterized the plant in my garage. Water the plant every 2-3 weeks sparingly, around March I brought the plant inside and placed it under t5 grow lights. notcing that it had not started growing in May I decided to unpot the thing and saw the rhyzome was brown and soft. The roots seemed to be in good condition so I thought I could re grow the plant from the roots. I used a standard mix of 50/50 peat and perlite.

This really has saddens me since it was the only minor in my small collection.

Hi Zach,

Sorry to hear this.  Unfortunately, this is a common problem with dormancy in a dark location like a garage.  It's almost mandatory that when a plants are overwintered like this that they get sprayed with a fungicide.  Keeping them a little drier helps, but it's just too easy for Botrytis to get started and kill a rhizome.

All you can do now is cut away any dead brown parts of the rhizome until you see only white.  Spray that with a sulfur based fungicide and replant.  If there is no white part of the rhizome, say some final words. :(

Fortunately Sarracenia minor isn't that hard to find.  We have it along with several other cp dealers.  It's probably an easy plant to get in a trade too if you have some other stuff that someone might want.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!