Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia I.D.

sarracenia 1
sarracenia 1  

sarracenia 2
sarracenia 2  
Hi! I bought some unidentified bare root sarracenia rhizomes a couple of years ago from SNW and would like to know what I have, I hope you can help me! I hope the pics are good enough. Thank you

Hi Maire,

Nice plants, lucky you!  Here's what I think you have starting from left to right.  First plant, a S. oreophila hybrid of some kind.  This would be one of our "Feist Dogs".  Next is Sarracenia rubra ssp. jonesii, then Sarracenia oreophila (species), the red one looks like an red tube S. flava of some sort, and then the last one is S. oreophila x S. leucophylla.  The jonesii and oreophila species are both federally listed endangered species, so being an Oregon Resident, you got a bonus here.  Out of state folks wouldn't have got those.  Great flowers!  You're doing a great job with them.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!