Carnivorous Plants/Bending Sarracenia

Bend Oreophila
Bend Oreophila  

Bend Alabamensis
Bend Alabamensis  
Hi Jeff!

Hope you guys are doing well!

I was wondering if you also have some Sarracenia traps bending like mine? (see attached picture) I donīt know if it is due to the wind, however if so, why should other species not bend?

Cheers and stay healthy!

Hi JP,

This is not at all unusual for these two species.  In late summer most of the oreophila will start falling over being replaced by phyllodia.  The alabamensis tends to produce floppier pitchers in the early season, then has a shorter, stockier set toward the end of the summer.  

It also looks like your plants could use a bit more sun.  Are they partially under an eave?  If plants are in less than full sun floppy pitchers in many varieties will be very common.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!