Carnivorous Plants/Carnivorous big garden/tub garden

I live in Buffalo, NY and I am creating a bog garden in a claw foot bathtub in my yard. I am using a mixture of peat and perlite. I'm topping it off with live moss. It's in a very sunny location. I was wondering what kind of sundews would go well with the purple pitcher plants I am using. Also, any general recommendations for other plants (carnivorous or not) thank you for your time.

Hi Kevin,

Drosera intermedia, D. rotundifolia, and D. filiformis should all do well there.  If possible try to get plants that you know are from the Northern part of their ranges.  An example would be D. filiformis from Cape Cod, or New Jersey.   Avoid D. trayci or D. filiformis "Florida Giant" or the red forms.  They are all from Florida and not as cold hardy.

You could also grow P. grandiflora and P. vulgaris in your bog garden if you wanted some butterworts there.

Bog orchids can also be a fun addition.  Avoid grasses of any kind.  Labrador Tea is a great bog associate as is Bog Laurel.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!