Carnivorous Plants/cephalotus

please help. my cephalotus in a 6" pot with 75% silica sand and 25% peat mix is in a sleeping state, it is sitting here in my highland  greenhouse together with my nepenthes for 2 years having about 6 pitchers the size of 5 to 6 mm (1//4") it is not growing but also not dying, the pitchers look nice and healthy and bright green, to water it I put it in a tray with rainwater every morning for 1 hour and then take it out to put on a grid to drip any excessive water, it gets morning sun, please tell me what I am doing wrong
thanks Helmuth

Hi Helmuth,

It sounds like your plant needs food.  Cephalotus is mostly an ant catcher, and if it's not where it can attract some, it probably just needs to be fed to give it a boost to grow.  Here's an easy way to do this.  Get a bottle like this:  Fill it with 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer and fill the pitchers with it.  You could also use the same method to put blood worms in the pitchers.  Give the plant about a month and see how it does.  

Since you're going into winter in South Africa, it could be slowing down in growth right now too.  We've found that Cephalotus do seem to have a short dormancy.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!