Carnivorous Plants/Drosera question

Hey guys! I have a drosera question and you guys have always been cool to me ever since I bought my first nep truncata from you. So here it goes: a while ago I purchased a drosera binata multifida. It's super healthy but is only producing the typical fork. I'm sure you're thinking it's probably a typical binata then, but it has a few old leaves that are the four forked type. So it is for sure the multifida. It's put out at least 30-40 new leaves all typical. I'm just curious when or how to get the multifida leaves to grow. Thanks a lot, you guys are awesome!!!

Hi Alex,

Send me a photo of your plant.  I curious what it currently looks like.  All of our D. binata var. multifida are propagated by root cuttings, so they are clones and should be exactly the same.  The plant should be very red, and as the plant ages the leaves get bigger, and have more forks, up to 32 forks on a leaf.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!