Carnivorous Plants/Pinguicula Leaves

Hi, I bought a pinguicula esseriana several weeks ago. It is growing indoors on a southern windowsill with 2-3 hours direct light and indirect light the rest of the day.  It is growing in an all-mineral mix and top watering about every 5-6 days, humidity about 55%.  Several days ago I notice irregular shaped leaves, like notching in them.  I looked for insects that may be chewing on the leaves but did not see any.  What could be causing the notches in the leave?  Thank you very much.

Hi Valerie,

Thanks for sending the pictures of the plant.  That always helps.  The notching just looks like an irregular leaf development.  It in and of itself is not of any consequence, but I can tell from your photos that your plant needs much more light than it is getting.  The notching might be from the low light and improper development from that.  Here what P. esseriana should look like:  They are one of the more succulent Pinguicula and like nearly full sun.  

Try moving your plant to a window that gets near half a day sun such as a West or South window.  You may see some leaf burn at first, but just cut any off that happens to.  The new growth will grow out looking normal.  You may need to keep the plant just a little wetter once it's in brighter light since it will be transpirating more water.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!