Carnivorous Plants/Trimming Phyllodia

Hi Jeff!

Hope you and Jacob are doing well despite the madness in Orlando this day, I start to believe the World is getting nuts, also here in Europe!

Thanks for the latest video update, looks great what you have in your garden!

I was wondering, my S. oreophila and flava have still green phillodias from last year´s season.

Since the pitchers are plenty and growing quite fast, I was wondering if it makes sense or is necessary to cut off the phillodias? Should I trimm them off?

Thanks for your advice and send my regards to Jacob!

Hi JP,

Thank-you for the kind words, and I will pass that on to Jacob.  This business in Orlando has hit many of us very hard.

It's totally fine to trim the phyllodia now.  They will start growing new ones at the end of the summer, and the plants have plenty of leaf surface in the pitchers for photosynthesis.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!