Carnivorous Plants/Drosera Regia

I have a question about the soil mix for a Regia Sundew.  Would the Corse Soil mix on your website be a good pick for this plant?  The reason why I asked is that it seems  you keep changing soil mixes for particular plants.  Thank you for you help.  

Hi Weylin,

The course mix should work just fine for D. regia.  However, it is heavy in sand, and D. regia should be in as large a pot as you can handle for your growing space, so it can make the pot very heavy.  D. regia likes a mix that remains somewhat open and drains well.  Cool roots are the name of the game for them.

The reason we keep changing media is that there is no one perfect media for any particular plant.  The best media is what works for a person in their particular growing situation.  For us the perfect example is Cephalotus.  Most literature says to plant them in a very sandy mix, and that is what their soil in like in nature.  However, that requires you to be very careful in how you water them to not keep them waterlogged.  It's easiest to just top-water the plants and not have them in water trays to achieve this.  However, in a sandy mix they dry quickly, and the media is hard to re-wet if it gets too dry.  We switched to using Nepenthes mix with them, which is just New Zealand LFS and perlite.  We were able to just keep them in trays with holes and only top water them.  We saw a 180 degree turn around in their health.  This media would not work if you were going to try and tray water them.  It would break down quickly and you would certainly get rotten roots.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!