Carnivorous Plants/nepenthes identification

two Nepenthes
two Nepenthes  
QUESTION: Hi guys, this question is in regards to my nepenthes I'd. Now my plants are outside and enjoying our hot summer weather around Toronto Canada.they have grown much larger and look much different than when they were young.
Attached are the two species.
Much appreciated and thank you.   
Ps outside bog is doing amazing, rotundifolia, Filiformis, Anglica, S.purperea, Minor, Scarlet Belle, and King Henry VFTS.

Your plants are looking great.  Both of these look like a Nepenthes x "Miranda".  This is a commonly sold hybrid that does very well for most folks.  It can also get very big.

Glad to hear your bog plants are doing well also.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

mystery nep
mystery nep  

new addition to bog
new addition to bog  
QUESTION: That is awesome, thanks so much. There is another nepenthes in this next picture if you don't mind identifying for me.
Appreciate it a lot, and thanks.
Ps( I said I had D. Filimormis, it's actually a D. Linearis can't seem to find much info on this apparent native plant.

Keep up the great work guys!

Hi James,

That pitcher belongs to Nepenthes "deRooses's Alata".  It's a type of ventrata which N. alata x (N. alata x ventricosa).  It's another very vigorous grower, and pretty.

So how did you end up with Drosera linearis?  That isn't a particularly easy plant to obtain, or maintain in warmer climates like ours here in Western Oregon.  Like D. anglica, they tend to need short growing seasons along with cold winters to do well.  Probably why it grows well for you in Canada, and it's a native.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!