Carnivorous Plants/Pinguicula Moctezumae x Gigantea Leaf Tips Turn Brown

I received a pinguicula moctezumae  x gigantea about 2 weeks ago. I have it indoors at a west wondow. I bottom water it with distilled water when the soil feels dry. The humidity indoors is about 50 to 55%. The leaf tips of the leaves have been turning brown. What am I doing wrong and how can I save my plant? Thank you very much, Valerie

Hi Valerie,

It appears that not all of the leaves have brown tips, so that is good news. It may be that older leaves are dying off and newer leaves will replace them. If new leaves are browning at the tips, there may be a humidity or light issue. Pinguicula experience leaf burn in high intensity light. Windows can refract enough light to burn the leaves of some plants. You may need to move the plant back from the window a bit further. If I am seeing the entire picture correctly, it appears as though mostly leaves closest to the window are browning. Try that and see if it helps. Pinguicula like indirect or partial light.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.