Carnivorous Plants/singalana x venticosa hybrid

venticosa x singalana
venticosa x singalana  

venticosa x singalana
venticosa x singalana  

I got this plant from you guys a few years ago since then the plant has been taking a turn for the worse. I put the plant outside last year.  Since then I have the plant inside under some 60CFL lights on a 14 hour timer.  I have also been fertizling the plant.  I believe the soil that have them in is the standard soil mix.  Below are some pictures of the plants.

Thank you,

Hi Weylin,

This looks like the soil media is the culprit.  Standard peat mix of too wet for them.  Some Nepenthes will tolerate this, many will not.  You are probably in the early stages of root rot.  Transplant them now to a sphagnum moss media.  Our tropical mix is New Zealand Sphagnum mixed with perlite to give it more loft.

Give them at least a month to turn around.  Keep up the fertilizing, but keep the concentration very weak for now.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!