Carnivorous Plants/Darlingtonia potting mix

Hi Jeff,

JP again! Thanks for your previous reply!

I will repot my Darlingtonia tomorrow, before I do so, what is the best potting mix you recommend? I have everything at disposal, perlite, peat moss, dry sphagnum, life sphagnum, sand, etc... Should I best use a 50/50 life sphagnum moss / perlite mix?

Is it still suitable to use the terracotta pot?

As disinfectant I use "Physan 20" ( which was once recommended by Peter DŽAmatoŽs "Savage Garden" book. Also do I once a month (for indoor plants at least) use a light "Maxsea" fertilizer.

Cheers, best regards to Oregon!

Hi JP,

I'm starting to come down on the side of using long-fiber sphagnum with some perlite mixed in.  It provides the best media when the plants are not going to be sitting in water.  It holds on to moisture better, but drains quickly and re-hydrates quickly if it gets a bit dry.  

The Terracotta pot is fine along with using the Physan 20 disinfectant.  It's a quanternary ammonium disinfectant.  Just be sure to use the concentration they recommend for sterilization, and let the pot soak for the recommend period.  It tends to need more contact time than bleach.

Maxsea is great.  With Darlingtonia it's best to squirt it in the pitchers since they don't really absorb much in the way of nutrients through their roots, and the pitcher exteriors are very waxy.  It's an adaptation to surviving toxic Serpentine soil environments.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!