Carnivorous Plants/Growing Darlingtonia

Again Greetings,
Would like to grow Darlingtonia in a small fountain on my patio area. The depth is only about 6", but the pump circulates until the freeze which we may or may not get here in PDX-is that enough for the roots?
Thank you for your time.

Hi Kathy,

This could work.  We've found repeatedly, however, that Darlingtonia do best when their pots are not waterlogged.  We don't have any of ours sitting in water.  This makes them very different from Sarracenia.  If their was a way to set it up to have the water dripping into a pot so that you would bet the circulation, that would be best.  One other option would be a floating island.  I've had moderate success with this.  These are an example:

Planting a Darlingtonia is a pumice stone would also be a good option for a fountain.  We have one planted this way that we've had for several years.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!