Carnivorous Plants/heliamphora care

just bought a heliamphora from you ( I received 6/16 ) and it was beautiful.  put in into terrarium and it started new pitchers immediately.  had to go away and air conditioner not turned on.  House hit 84 for the day.  Would that be enough to dry all pitchers out so that they die?  Is it possible to bring the plant back to life?

Hi Brooks,

Unfortunately, you need to say some final words.  It's not likely it's coming back at this point.  I'm not entirely sure from your description what happened (84 degrees isn't high enough alone to kill it).  What it looks like is that your terrarium overheated and the plant baked such as could happen if the plant is in a window without cooling.

You can cut all the pitchers off and see if anything tries to come back from the roots, but I'm not hopeful from the appearance.  Sorry. :(

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!