Carnivorous Plants/Mexican pinguicula with mealybugs

My Mexican pinguicula collection has been infested with mealybugs. They attacked where the roots and the rosette meet. Several plants have lost their roots entirely due to this.
Is imidicloprid safe to use on my Mexican pinguicula?
How can I be sure these pests are entirely eradicated? How can I get the plants win root loss to grow back their roots?

Hi Campbell,

Imidacloprid is safe on Mexican Pings, but it just isn't that effective on mealy bugs.  Neem works better, but you will have to repeat usage a few times.  What you should do is up-pot your plants, then spray them, including the roots.  Repot in fresh soil, in clean, sterilized pots.  (Eggs and crawlers can be on pots.)  Test this on one plant before you treat the others.  Butterworts can be delicate, so you need to see how they are going to respond.  If you see damage, I can look into a different course of action for you.  Let me know how it goes.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!