Carnivorous Plants/No new pitchers on Sarracenia?

Okie Giant
Okie Giant  

Okie Giant
Okie Giant  

I have a Hooded Pitcher Plant, the Okie Giant version and I noticed it hasn't grown any new pitchers recently?  Does this species only makes pitchers in the Spring time?

Also, it seems to have grown a lot of floppy-looking pitchers.  Otherwise the plant seems healthy and is grown in a peat/sand mix, watered with distilled water, and gets about 10 hours of full sun in Zone 9.

Should I be concerned or give it any special care?

Overall the new growth on your plant looks fine, but you seem to have lots of leaves with brown tops.  Has this plant gotten too dry?  You should always have some water in your water tray.  Overall just make sure the soil is always wet.  You should see some new pitchers as weather begins to cool some in the fall.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!