Carnivorous Plants/Seeds Drosophyllum

Bonjour Jeff!

This morning I collected some fresh Drosophyllum seeds, in total I can count 16 seeds collected since early July, I am satisfied and still some flowers to bring out more!

I often read that "older" seeds will germinate better, is that true? Now I keep the seeds in transparent packages, it is stored dry and left on my desk inside the room.

Could I sow these seeds now or not? If I do so, I would soak in water for 2 days first.

But what medium do you use for the seedlings? I raised both plants from seeds too, but I found it sometimes a bit complicated since seeds will get lost in the pot and the color is similar to the soil so I canīt even find them back again.

Do you have any remedy for me?

Thanks and have great day!

Hi JP,

Wait about 6 months before you sow the seeds.  You'll get the best germination that way.  Also, you can soak them, but first scarify them.  Get a small file and scrape the fat end of the seed until you see just a tiny bit of the white endosperm showing.  This really helps germination.

Use a mix of 2 parts perlite, one part sand, to one part peat moss.  I like to sow plants in peat pots before moving them to a larger permanent home.  That way if you get some failing to germinate or thrive you're not wasting space in a big pot.  With peat pots you just plant the whole thing.

Hope that helps.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!