Carnivorous Plants/Bog prep for hardy carnivorous plants

Currently excavating small , dapple shaded area in central La. Zone 9 for bog garden.  Would like to grow hardy carnivorous plants mixed with non carnivores. Please advise as to best mediums, & ph for bog to maintain healthy environment for plants. Also should plants remain potted with pots sunk into medium or planted directly  into medium?7

Hi Cherry,

First place to begin is that a location for carnivores will need to be full sun.  Dappled light will result in weak plants that don't stand up, and get diseases and pests easily.  The media should be a 50/50 mix of peat moss and sand with nothing else added.  The bog garden also has to be lined so that it doesn't make contact with regular soil.  They need to be in a very low nutrient soil.  Most non-carnivores will not survive well in that media since you can't fertilize those plants without killing the carnivores.  You can put other true bog species with them such as bog orchids, cranberry, Labrador Tea.  Planting the carnivores such as Sarracenia, flytraps, and sundews directly into the media works best.  You get your best looking specimens that way.  Here's some useful information:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!