Carnivorous Plants/Darlingtonia winter care

I am from Germany and a fan.
I got a Darlingtonia in a tree stump (20cm high and 15cm wide) on my balcony facing south. I got it from a facebook contact this spring but it grows great. My question is how do I cover it best over winter time or what can I do so it survives?
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your knowledge.

Hi Patrick,

Sorry for taking awhile to get back to you.  Very crazy week this week.

Darlingtonia are hardy to USDA zone 8, and possibly zone 7 depending on the exact location of the particular clone you have.  Most Darlingtonia in cultivation are of coastal Oregon descent, so I'm going to operate from that assumption.  That means that your plant can tolerate temperatures down to the low 20's F for brief periods with no harm.  Their hardiness is very similar to most Sarracenia.  Depending on how cold it gets in your particular location, you may need to only bring your plant into a shed or a garage during cold spells if the temperatures are generally above freezing during winter.  You can also put your planter on the ground (avoid soil contact, however.) and wrap it in black plastic for a cold spell.  Bringing it next to your house will help too.

To advise you further I need to know what typical winters are like for your location, and what is the coldest temperatures you get, and for how long at a time.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!