Randy wrote at 2009-01-28 18:46:12
I suspect that "criminentlies" existed before the 1950's, as it is used in two books that I know of by characters that lived around the turn of the (20th) century.  The books are The Ghost of Dibble Hollow by May Nickerson Wallace, and Clip Clop by Eleanor Koldofsky.  However, these books were only written in 1965 and 1995, so who knows.

Ruby Totten wrote at 2010-08-30 16:34:37
'Criminentlies' is a slang word I and the other kids used in the 30s whenever we were annoyed, disappointed,or just generally discomfited--like when your mom called you in before you were ready to come in. You would howl "criminentlies, mom!" Gobel used it because it was such a popular colloquialism from his own youth.

brewski wrote at 2011-03-11 22:47:28
I could swear that it goes back to a comic strip that predates Goerge Gobel's TV career.   And I'm old enough to remember it, but not good enough to remember the strip.

tedcab wrote at 2014-05-28 07:50:43
Criminentlies was repopularized by the comedian George Gobel in the 50s.

Bob Buethe

Can answer questions about American (and some European and Asian) comic strips, cartoonists, and comic books (especially from the 1960s and `70s). Also well-versed on topics related to cartooning techniques, composition, and art supplies. I'm not an expert on animated cartoons, or on the collectibles market (i.e., how much old comic books or cartoon artwork are worth). I've been asked questions on these areas in the past, and I've found the answers through Google, or from consulting other experts. This is becoming too time consuming lately, though, so I'm afraid that any future questions in these areas, unless I happen to know the answer, will receive a reply stating that this is outside of my expertise.

Forty years reading and collecting comic books. Over twenty years as an amateur cartoonist. Extensive library of cartoon- and comic-related reference books.

Hogan's Alley magazine
Mensa Bulletin