Cartooning/Names of the "Blondie" characters

James wrote at 2011-09-21 17:38:51
Dear Wayne:

On the movie series staring Authur Lake and Penny Singleton, cookie was name by a policeman played by Ward Bond on the way home when the cab they were riding in was stopped for driving too slow, that was the story line.  

Dagwood real name was called out by Blondie when she was mad at him and called him David Bumstead, I can't remember the middle name she called him.

Hope this helps:

William wrote at 2016-04-20 00:41:45
I haven't been able to prove it yet, but I'm pretty certain that it was my great grandmother, Edith Price, who won the contest to name Cookie. The "contest to name Cookie" story has been floating in my family for decades.

Bob Buethe

Can answer questions about American (and some European and Asian) comic strips, cartoonists, and comic books (especially from the 1960s and `70s). Also well-versed on topics related to cartooning techniques, composition, and art supplies. I'm not an expert on animated cartoons, or on the collectibles market (i.e., how much old comic books or cartoon artwork are worth). I've been asked questions on these areas in the past, and I've found the answers through Google, or from consulting other experts. This is becoming too time consuming lately, though, so I'm afraid that any future questions in these areas, unless I happen to know the answer, will receive a reply stating that this is outside of my expertise.

Forty years reading and collecting comic books. Over twenty years as an amateur cartoonist. Extensive library of cartoon- and comic-related reference books.

Hogan's Alley magazine
Mensa Bulletin