• Home
  • Hobbies
  • Cartooning
  • Cartooning
  • What are some good resources out there that specifically show you and/or tell you how to write comedy for animation or comics?

Cartooning/What are some good resources out there that specifically show you and/or tell you how to write comedy for animation or comics?

Hi. I should have asked this question a long time ago- I don't know why I didn't but here are the details. I am an aspiring comic book creator with some animation training. I wanted to do a comic book series for kids. I want to make it slapsticky and cartoony. I tried looking up writing comedy for comics and writing comedy for animation but I did not really find any resources online that show and/or tell you HOW. There is no rule that says cartoons or comics have to be serious, even if they are action/adventure cartoons or comics. I want to do something to entertain and amuse kids with. Please help- thank you.

Hi Jason,
This is a very good question and I have had people ask me about this before. The thing that you have to remember and understand is that writing for comics and/or animated cartoons is just like writing for a movie or a play. You have to flesh out a plot, have characters created and ready to go and know how you want to present it.

Cartoons don't have to be serious at all. They can be anything. Serious, action-packed, funny, silly, full of crazy humor...anything that you can imagine, you can put into your comics and cartoons. To write for your comics and animated cartoons, look up screenplay writing or writing for a play. This will give you great guidelines for getting your story and ideas written down so you can decide what to do with them as you go. Know your audience and write accordingly. Also, let your imagination run wild. Never hold back. Whatever you can't use now, you might be able to use later in another project. To write slapstick and very cartoony stuff you should watch some of the Warner Brothers cartoons and see how it's presented. This will also be a big help to you.
I hope I was able to help you and if you ever need any more help or advice, please feel free to drop me a line any time. I'm always happy to help. Good luck and I wish you the best.
Take care,

Chuck Fan

I can answer most questions about cartooning and getting started. I have been cartooning for a long time and I am currently working on some cartoons to publish and start a career. Ask me whatever you would like to know.

I have developed 3 comic strips that I am working on and refining to shop around to syndicates to try to get published and I was commissioned to create a comic strip for an independent horror magazine back in 1987 which ran for a while.

Zones of Evil magazine

I have studied Art most of my life and I am a very creative person. I also have an Associate's degree in Graphic Design and Animation.

Best Graphic Designer

Bryan Fortin - Zones of Evil