Cat Food/Cat is allergic to the majority of meats. What do i feed him for a balanced diet?

Ceris wrote at 2008-01-28 15:21:08
Thank you so much for all of that.  We have read through your thoughts throughly and shall be making changes around the home i.e. with the litter and trying him on various food stuffs to see if we can find a healthy soloution.  we also have an appointment with the vet again this evening when I shall discuss some of the information you have provided and ask about the steroids you have suggested to help him on a bit.  Your advice has been invaluable.  We can't thank you enough.

rmorrow2 wrote at 2008-02-03 02:27:15
The one meat that you did not mention was venison. I feed my cat EVO 95% venison and Natural Balance Venison and peas with no issues. (If I were you I would also add a good probiotic and digestive enzymes to food to aid in digestion.) My cat loves the taste and his symptoms disappeared. Hope this helps!

Chriss wrote at 2008-07-06 18:37:56
I just wanted to let you know that I too have a seriously allergic cat. I used to combat it with methylpred shots every 6 weeks for about a year and a half until one day it almost killed him, he became diabetic from the shots and then I had to give him insulin shots every day for a year. Then- his blood sugar became too low. This has been very troubling for me and I did not know what to do, I took him to several specialists as he was chewing his fur to the base and causing huge red sores everywhere. It was so bad that when he shook, blood would splatter on the wall.

After several medications, prescription food and every thing else, I was almost going to put him to sleep as I felt he was suffering so. Then I read on some web site that someone had used Chlorpheniramine Maleate (2mg-1 pill cut in half) along with Grizzly Salmon oil (1/8 tsp)once a day, you can give the other half of the pill later if your cat is still itchy but mine improved within about 4 weeks and looks better than he has in years. I also feed him IVD rabbit and pea prescription cat food but the only thing that works is all things together. I was so relieved-I had tried everything and it was quite expensive. He has been on this for over a year now and all his fur is back, he no longer looks half bald! Just FYI and hope that someone else can benfit from this too.

Rebecca wrote at 2012-12-04 20:33:07
Just discovered the exact same problem with my cat except she can have chicken..  She had a biopsy and blood test and the blood test confirmed the allergies....  Would like a suggestion on what to feed her as she is really fussy!

Cat Food

I can answer questions related to feline and canine diet including questions regarding ingredients, by-products, nutrients, raw diets, brand named products, etc. I can also answer questions related to pet health, behavior, grooming, and general animal management.

***Before asking a question, please read my past answers as they will more than likely answer your question:

*****I'm happy to announce a new forum*****

I have done research on the relationship between feline diet and feline diabetes due to my personal experience in dealing with one of my own cats. I am a pet lover and always have numerous cats and dogs. I believe in feeding a high quality and by-product free diet. Diet alone cured my diabetic cat as well as either cured or significantly helped many others.

Bachelor's Degree in Biological Sciences and years of experience working as a Veterinary Technician