Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)/Excessive crying from a Maine Coon

BloodyNeptune wrote at 2015-06-26 16:57:41
I know this is super late, but I didn't want that last reply to worry you.

From literally everything I've read (and experienced with my Maine Coon Cat) they're naturally *extremely* vocal. Quotes from "very vocal, with a large repertoire of sounds" and "Maine Coons are a vocal breed, with a variety of meows, chirps and trills at their disposal".

Basiclly just google "maine coon cats vocal" and you'll get all the info you need. Its completely normal. Sometimes its just to get attention, other times its just to like, announced they're in the room.

When I mentioned it to my vet during his checkup, she basically confirmed all that.

Susan wrote at 2016-07-14 21:31:12
Tabbi is crazy saying Maine coons are quiet.  They are the loudest, and most talkative cat breed.  They chirp, meow & yowl from birth to death.  Many seen to have a nocternal pattern, which can be hard to break, but they are worth every minute of the noise.

Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)

Dear Tabbi

My expertise is in helping people understand their cat (or cats) and their behavior. Questions are welcome even if you don't have a cat....just a question about them. Hopefully my experience, suggestions, and comments will be of help to you...and your cat (or cats). Looking through my past responses to questions will give you additional information and/or answers too. Domestic Cats = cats (no matter what breed) who are tame or not wild, or abandoned cats who were pets that became wild, but can be tamed again. Ferals = cats who are born with one or more parents who were wild stray cats. They usually have had no interactions with people. They have an inbred distrust of humans and are difficult to socialize. They are skittish, hide, and are afraid of people. They take a lot of time and patience to work with them. A lot of kittens from shelters had a feral parent.

Since I was a child, over 45 years, I have been owned by a LOT of cats and kittens of almost every temperament, behavior, and personality. I have had experience with neurotic, disabled (including blind), stray, and 'problem child' cats and kittens. (A few normal cats too!) Plus all the things a lifetime of owning cats and research has taught me. I also have experience in feral cat behavior (which is different from domestic cats), and some experience with feral colonies that includes colony feeding and feral cat TNR (trap/neuter/release).

* One of the top 50 Experts Of 2008 *