Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)/cat bites ankles

Question
I have a eight year old spayed female cat, she was a feral when I adopted her but she adjusted wonderfully to life with me.  She was just a year old at adoption, then two years later I found out that she as a heart condition.  Thanks to medication she is doing great, the only problem is that she constantly tries to bite my ankles.  This behavior began three years ago and it  only happens at night.   I do not want to spray her with water ( unless I have no choice), is there anything I can do to stop this.  I love my cat and she means the world to me.

Answer
First of all, sorry to hear about her heart condition, I hope she continues to do okay. If you haven't tried this yet, you can toss a loud toy or an empty pop can taped shut with a few pennies. This is meant to pose as a distraction and someting else to occupy her time with instead of biting your ankles. Did something happen that you can think of that triggered her behavior as sudden behavior changes tend to start from being triggered?

Keep me posted and let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.  

Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)

Melissa Burg, RVT/Behavior Consultant