Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)/Disturbing Oral Fixation.

My two year old domestic tabby has always been strange. Raised with his brother and his sister in the same house for his first year and with a series of other cats since and usually he has no issues with them, attitude or otherwise. He's quite volatile, somedays he's placid, loving, and some days he's quite vicious, although he's never been hurt or abused. But the reason I'm writing is that ever since he was about six months old, and he and his brother and sister were just coming into maturity, he used to play-fight them, quite ferociously until he had them pinned and then hold them there whilst he licked their genitals, quite thoroughly, until either they kicked him off or reciprocated. Should I be worried about this fetish? Will it help if I get him de-sexed? Only he's not worried about who he picks to molest, he's at least tried it with every cat we've lived with, and he knows he's doing something wrong because he hides it or stops when caught. Now he's a father, and he's showing inclinations towards that kind of behaviour with the kittens, but I won't allow it. I don't know what to do or how to explain this bizarre behaviour that can sometimes go on for hours, if permitted.... He's a beautiful intelligent creature, this is his one big downfall... Help?

This behavior typically stems from the lack of appropriate attention from his mother while still in the nursing stages of his life. Even though I always encourage and recommend neutering for health and behavior reasons, at this point in time his behaviors are going to be set in stone and the only thing you can do is redirect the focus of attention. However having him neutered will eliminate the hormones that only get in the way of behavior modification.

I would recommend having on hand either a spray bottle or a noisy object or toy to be used when you catch him acting like this. The purpose of those are to distract and redirect his main focus. The hard part is since he's been with this behavior for so long, he's not going to get the hint that it's not appropriate or wanted right away. What exactly are you doing right now with him when he's behaving like this? Since the other cats are not showing their distaste and allowing it to happen, it's perfectly okay for you to step in and stop the actions.  

Cat Training and Behavior (Domestic and Feral)

Melissa Burg, RVT/Behavior Consultant

I have experience dealing with different cat behavior signs, including separation anxiety, possible aggression and the difference between fear aggression and actual aggression, this would include possible feral cats. I also am familiar with the several different approaches to introducing a new cat to the environment as well as how each cat or cat and dog and live comfortable and dealing with litter box issues and help you decide if the problem is medical or behavioral.

My experience began with my own cats and escalated while working with area animal shelters for the past 10 years. I was able to watch and learn how the cats would react to different stimulus and each other. My experience grew during college and became able to distinguish between medical and behavior issues.

"Pawfect Pets," a weekly column in my local newspaper with pet health and behavior and training tips.

I graduated with an Associate's in Veterinary Technology in 2009 and became RVT in the state of Iowa in 2012 with a focus on Behavior.